The Badger Cookout and Campfire will take place at lunch each week on Friday. The Friday Cookout Lunch is already included in the camp fee.
Since its inception in 1998, the Badger program has been one of the most popular programs at King Day Camp and it fills very quickly. We have 80 Badgers per week in groups of 10 with a maximum ratio of 1:10. The highlight of this program is the Badger Cookout Lunch & Badger Campfire each week on Friday.
The program is designed to deliver the following:
· A program that revolves around environmental education.
· Provides children with the opportunity to experience traditional camping activities such as cooking and eating outdoors, enjoying a traditional campfire, etc.
· Provides young children with opportunities to challenge themselves, to try new things and to be afforded the potential for an increased sense of self-esteem. The Badger program offers experiences that encourage the campers to be individuals. Within those experiences we (the staff and the group) will celebrate the individual successes to help the camper be more aware of the important fact that they can succeed and make the right decisions on their own.
· Encourages positive life skills (communication skills, problem solving skills, trust and conflict resolution).
· Extends their personal skill base beyond what they learn in school. They will be provided with the opportunity to learn outdoor skills (edible wilds, how to start a fire, map and compass skills, canoeing, archery, group work, climbing (Climbing Tower) and nature interpretation.
· The Badger program provides children with opportunities to grow through positive reinforcement, and celebrations of successes!
WEATHER PERMITTING: All Badgers will do the following 8 Outdoor Adventures each week:
1. Badger Wall (climbing)
5. Outdoor Living Skills
7. Visit the Nature Specialist in the Log Cabin
8. Visit the Art Specialist in the Pavilion
All activities are WEATHER DEPENDENT! Keep in mind that at KDC we have 4-day and 5-day weeks and not all activities will be possible/available on the shorter weeks due to time constraints.
Each day, weather permitting, they will enjoy FREE SWIM! If you wish your camper not to wear a PFD (Personal Floatation Device) please indicate at the time of registration. Friday is a fun filled day of larger group activities – Badger Survival Game, Campfire and Cookout!
Badger Badge Program
Badgers will choose a Badger Badge to participate in 3 times throughout the week. We have 9 specially designed badges focusing on new skills and interests of campers. Completion of the badge at the end of the week encourages recognition of success.
All Badger groups have access to an indoor air-conditioned classroom for use in inclement weather and lunchtime. There are marquee tents and large trees on site providing shaded program areas. Staff assist campers in applying sunscreen at least twice a day and encourage as well as monitor camper’s water consumption. Staff will also stop once in the morning and once in the afternoon so campers can eat their AM and PM snack.
For more information regarding registration for this program, including program fees and additional options visit the Registration Information page.