information if you have children UNDER age 4:
The summer camp programs operated by Seneca College
are fully-accredited members of the Ontario Camps Association (OCA). The
OCA was working with the Ministry of Education (EDU) on behalf of all of its
member camps in regards to an issue that arose from recent changes to the new
Early Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014. The revised Act states that
children in Ontario under the age of 4 years old will only be able to attend a
summer camp program in a licensed daycare facility. The camp programs at
Seneca College do not meet the definition(s) of a licensed day care facility so
King Day Camp (King Campus) will not
be able to accept any child under the age of 4 years old. As it stands
today, your child must be 4 years old by the start of their camp session to
attend one of our camp programs.
The Mice program is for those campers
that will be 4 years old only. The ratio is 1:5.
The goals of the Mouse program are the following:
· To provide a program that allows children the opportunity to make use of their five senses to explore the natural world around them.
· To provide young children with the opportunity to develop a sense of independence from parental figures in a safe and supportive learning environment.
· To provide a program that encourages the development of the following life skills; co-operation, independence, listening.
· The Mice have their own classroom where they will spend time each day doing crafts, having story time, and exploring activity centers.
· Each day they will visit the waterfront for their daily swim session. Sessions take place in our supervised waterfront area and/or in our three foot deep above ground swimming pool, weather permitting. During swim campers in the mouse program must wear a Personal Flotation Device (PFD) regardless of existing swim level.
· Mice will have the opportunity to visit the Craft, Music and Nature Specialists and explore many of our magical theme areas at camp! These include the Leprechaun National Forest, the Hobbit and Fairy Village in the trees, the Magical Cedar Grove and the Mystical Marsh.
· Mice will take their snacks and paddle along the shoreline in the big Voyageur canoe to “Rosie’s Castle” and maybe even look for her purple egg!
· A special “Camp Themed” Indoor Dramatic Play room has been created for the Mice to enjoy on hot afternoons.
· Science-TASTIC activities and our magical garden adventure round out the week.
· The Mice will participate in a fun and interactive special event each Friday morning based on the theme of the week.
Staff assist campers in applying insect repellant before hikes into the forest and encourage long pants and shirts. There are marquee tents and large trees on site providing shaded program areas as well as an indoor pavilion. Staff assist the campers in applying sunscreen at least twice a day and encourage campers to drink at least 2 litres of water daily.
For more information regarding registration for this program, including program fees and additional options visit the Registration Information page.